Awe (and the One-Word for 2018)

Modeling in awesome fashion (PJs and a broken slipper)
for big brother who loves taking photos of just about anything.
It has been years since I've given up on resolutions. In the recent years, though, I have found a way to make it possible for me to make positive changes in my life by having a one-word resolution that prompts me through the whole year. It's been so much easier to remember, make plans and move towards that goal.

For this new blog that I've just started, and which I have apprehensions about starting in the first place, I am not setting high, ambitious goals as I am done with pressure. (I have the body pains and the sleepless nights to prove that.) I am here to have fun, which, by the way, is my one-word goal for this year. Fun. Three short, easy and pleasing letters to remember.

In line with 2018 year and the one-word plan, I am going to post one-word titles to get through each new blog post. I have started it for my first post, but for this one, please allow me to go beyond that. Hopefully, we'll get through the year with every one word.

Awe

I got familiar with this word when I became a parent. The first time I laid eyes on my son, I couldn't describe my feeling. Love? Pride? As my son grew, I started to know what it was to be in awe. I was amazed at the wonder of him and the experiences I had with him. The second time I gave birth, the same thing happened. Then, the third time came... and the fourth. By then, I should have been tired and weary of all things "baby". But, no, it was as wonderful as the first time. My oldest is now eleven and the youngest, three and a half. I still stay in awe as they are growing up.

And my, how they are growing fast! Just a few days ago, my son showed me his 'big boy' mustache, which was for me 'baby' mustache. In response, I showed him my 'old lady' mustache.

We all grow. Some of us grow happy; some, disillusioned with life. Reality bites. But there's more to what we know and call 'real'.

To Be in Awe


Having four children and being their parent is an awesome job. But every time I tell people about this, their eyes go goggly, maybe in unbelief, but which I hope, is awe at my blessings (and not shock at my stupidity for having too many kids). I have gotten used to their response. Sometimes I reveal my motherhood status just to revel at the delightful expression on the face of the person I am talking to. (I know, it's childish of me. But, hey, it's harmless fun for an overworked mom, so maybe it's okay?)

One could truly say that I have my cups full by having four active kids. Not only are my cups full but my hands and arms are, as well. You should see me trying to stay steady every time I come home on Tuesdays after a full day of work teaching or when I sit down as four pairs of arms and hands rush on me for a hug or a little fight on who sits on Mama's lap. This is one of the pleasant moments.

But, just imagine, when the weather is freezing through the thick furry coat you're wearing, even as fresh, thick snow is covering you and everything in sight is white, as you try to hurry the little feet beside you to preschool every morning, like today at -17, you labor through the thought of parenting as something awe-inspiring. It's so far from that.

Then you hear your three-year-old sing through her muffler and you hold her tiny glove-covered hand tighter as the cheery music drifts to your frozen ears. The inconvenient walk through the soft, lush snow becomes a trip. And you know you'll treasure even these difficult moments with your child.

That's what it means to be in awe. It means to live in the wonder of being born, being alive, of being created you as God made you--- man or woman, of being in the moment in a certain time of your life uncomfortable or easy it may be. And not losing the wonder of it. It means to...

Live in Awe

How? To wake up in the morning, whether you had a good sleep or not, and thank God for the blessing of simply opening your eyes, because it's a gift to do so. Then, close them again and relish  God's companionship. A whole new day is waiting for you with Him by your side. Stretch out your arms like you are embracing the wonder of what's in store for you. Stretch your body and revel in the joy of being alive.

As you get on with the day, never forget to invite God, bearing in mind that whatever is in store for you, wherever you may go, He is already there ahead of you in every step that you take, carrying you through. Ask His help and guidance, as... how far can humans really go without Him?

Sometimes you won't feel the awe when things don't go as swell as you hope it would at home or at work. Sometimes you feel out of control. It's okay. Breath. Feel the air fill your lungs and remember, God is still in control. As long as there is breath in you, you can be sure your life is in His hands, in the same way that the earth is spinning in its orbit in obedience to His command. Give permission to yourself to feel sad or disappointed. You are human after all.

As you catch buses, go through a long line of traffic at the end of the day, know that that awesome ball of fire in the sky is setting just as God said it should, and is giving way to the gentle moon, and you can allow yourself to relax in His embrace. Yes, it has been a long, fine day. It always is with God.

Or maybe, just like me, the day is not yet finished? There is still dinner to prepare, children to help with their schoolwork, dishes to wash, laundry to iron and fold, and a load of other tasks waiting for you, still...

As you set foot in the home He has provided you, feel pleasure at the sight of the warm light glowing through the windows welcoming you home, and remember that your Father in Heaven is anticipating to have you Home with Him. Tasks may still be there, so is the wisdom and strength to take them on one by one. God is bigger than that mountain of laundry waiting.

Don't forget to have fun. I'm not saying you cannot sigh or groan under the heavy load of tasks, go ahead if you feel so, but after that, luxuriate in the sight of sweet-smelling clothes or a tidy house. Just as life is about managing our time and our tasks, it is also about managing our thoughts and feelings.

Live in awe of the Father who loves you. That even in His divinity, He never objected to being with humanity. In Jesus, we are one with Him. Immanuel. That's who Jesus is. God never brushed aside our sin, but looked at it for what it is and provided a Ransom for many.

Live in awe of the Creator who made you. He made you in wonder, no one can fathom the miracle of you. When David reflected on this, he couldn't help but exclaim, "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well" (Psalm 139:14).

Live in awe of the Savior who came to save you. Every time I look at my daughter, Angelika, I am in awe of how God had saved her from that disastrous flood (for a background of this story, read Beyond the Storm: Hope), and I am reminded of how God has given ALL of heaven through Jesus to save me. I am speechless. The awesomeness of God makes it harder for me to praise Him, yet all the more necessary to do so. So, I come still for I know that He is God. "He says, Be still, and know that I am God'" (Psalm 46:10). Words won't ever be enough to describe what He has done.

Live in awe of the Lamb's glory. Moses prayed the right prayer when he asked God to show him His Glory right before his earthly life ended. God showed Him the glory of who He is. He is love, He is good. It is well for us to say the same prayer in our walk with Him, hoping and praying that He reveals His character and shine on us. After all, isn't that our ultimate goal to be like Him as He abides with us and we with Him?

Parent in Awe

Parenting is tough. We get our children minus the manual. We have the Bible, though. But it is silent on parenting. Why? Because the main goal of being a Christian is not to turn children (or other people) into robot-Christians but to be Christ's follower ourselves.

When we are in awe of Jesus, our Savior and Master, it is so much easier to parent. Not easy, but easier. Do-able. We follow in His footsteps and in our awe of Him, our children cannot help but see the wonder in our eyes and the hope that we have in Him. It is so much more attractive than cynicism and weariness. Life is messy. Our children are witnesses to it. But keeping Jesus before us, they see Him as Hope in their own situation too.

In awe of His character of humility as He served humanity while here on earth, we humbly do our task of raising our children in His Spirit of humility. His life of purity will be our aim. We give up which harms ourselves and others. With long-suffering, we press on. We long to emulate His gentleness and patience and by His grace, grow like Him.

See children as they are--- God's masterpieces. Oh, yes, they can be annoying, demanding, and can be plain headache, but isn't your life richer, fuller and more rewarding with them around? Can you imagine it to be any different?

Besides, parenting is not about "doing it all" or doing it perfectly that we lose ourselves or drive ourselves crazy. It's about staying in awe of the job that we have so we can pass on that awesomeness to our children. It's our job to nurture them. Then, let's nurture the life that the Mighty Creator has given them.


Don't lose the wonder of being alive, being loved, being blessed. In all that we do, see God working. Our lives can be living praise to Him. Day by day, we are on training in what it will be like in heaven--- a life of praise. In Revelation 5, angels and all 'creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea', worship God and praise Him. This is what they say:

“To Him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb
    be praise and honor and glory and power,
for ever and ever!”
(Revelation 5:13)

So will we praise Him. Praise the Lord!





You may also like to read...

Praise

Comments

Popular Posts